Reverse Diabetes with Heart2Heart Cardiac Physio
Much agree that a haemoglobin (HbA1C) under the diabetes threshold of 6.5% for an extended period of time without the use of glycaemic control medications qualifies diabetes remission. Today exercise is a first line treatment to reversing type 2 diabetes. With training there are a number of exercise types that need to be considered.
Aerobic exercise is continuous rhythmical movement using large muscle groups. The current guidelines with this is 30 minutes per day to be performed 3 to 7 days per week. The benefits of aerobic exercise are as follows:
- Reduction in HbA1C
- Reduction in fasting plasma glucose
- Reduction in insulin resistance
- Reduction in blood pressure
An increase in your exercise capacity by training at 65-90% of your maximum heart rate significantly reduces your risk of death.
People with type II have been found to have a threefold greater reduction in HbA1C with resistance training than those non exercising (Dunstan et al, 2002). Resistance exercise has been recommended as follows by the American Diabetes Association:
- At least 8 to 10 exercises, with completion of 1 to 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions, 2 to 3 times per week.
Combined training: (Both Aerobic and resistance)
- A greater reduction in HbA1C
High Intensity Interval Training: High intensity interval training is emerging as a more effective treatment with 0.19% reduction in HbA1C over a 2 week period.
What we have experienced in Heart 2 Heart:
- Exercise training has a clear impact on diabetes with significant impact on blood glucose levels and reduction in medication is explored after 12 weeks of specific exercise training
- It is a lifelong journey and there is no quick fix – commitment to a specific exercise programme for you with continuous progression and retesting significantly impacts on your type II diabetes
- While you may need to make significant lifestyle changes a small step at a time reaps the greatest outcome.
Reversing Diabetes with Heart2Heart in Ireland
Here at Heart2Heart Cardiac Physiotherapy, we specialise in reversing diabetes for patients throughout Ireland. Get in contact with us today to learn more, and a member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible. Alternatively call us now on 045484000.